Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Chocolate Chip Muffin Top (Cookies)

Because I am in college have a have little access to a stove, save the times when I go home for breaks, I will post maybe bi-weekly recipe or recipe reviews. 



These are some of the best Muffin Tops and only Muffin Tops I've ever had
But they were actually written as a chocolate chip cookie recipe
So this means that one of two things have happened
Either my definition of a cookie was way too narrow
Or I messed up the recipe and created a squishy cookie 

This recipe comes from Lindsay S. Nixon, author of The Healthy Herbivore Blog. 

I left out the chocolate chips that she included because I couldn't find any vegan brand :(


Here is what they should look like 






Here is how my version came out (I made them once with chocolate chips for my mom. She likes chocolate)

The only thing that I can think of to explain the shape would be that I made the cookies too small and used really big chocolate chips and that is why they look so strange. 

And I have a friend who told me that the apple sauce in the cookies could have made them so squishy. 

Another tip that I have would be to use Almond milk as the "Non-Dairy Milk" ingredient that the recipe calls for. 

They also have a similar taste to Nixon's Cranberry Orange Muffins.
They both have the same ingredients minus the orange juice, bananas and cranberries that the muffins call for.

When baking them I usually end up storing them with the cookies and they sort of "flavor blend." 

I can't complain though. This is one of the simplest recipes I've tried in my exploration of Clean and Mostly Vegan Baking. The thing that made these appeal to me was their lack of foreign ingredients. For people new to healthy baking ground flax, chia seeds, medool dates and tofu can be intimidating. These cookies are flour, apple sauce, non dairy milk, vanilla and no mention of black beans!
Nixon also has a black bean brownie recipe
Baking with black beans scares me  

And For Only 61 Calories, it's a yummy squishy cookie


No comments:

Post a Comment